Ampay National Sanctuary
Species of birds can be seen on a gradient of altitude ranging from agricultural areas, lowland thickets, mountainous cloud forest, and high Andean scrublands. There are more than 20 species of humming birds and 10 endemic species to Peru within this broad Sanctuary.
There are 195 bird species and 10 of them are endemic to Peru.
- White-tufted Sunbeam (Aglaeactis castelnaudii) (NT)(E)
- Creamy-crested Spinetail (Cranioleuca albicapilla) (E)
- Apurimac Spinetail (Synallaxis courseni) (VU)(E)
- Apurimac Brush-Finch (Atlapetes forbesi) (E)
- Rusty-fronted Canastero (Asthenes ottonis) (E)
- Forest and Lake route: Transected by several lakes and Forest habitats including the Angasq lagoon 'ocha, the Intimpas Forest, and the Dwarf Forest, untilyou reach the Huillcaq Lake Forest' ocha. The route will take 9 hours and its worth every second.
- Cataract Faccha Route: travel from the town of Kerapata to the Faccha waterfall. Duration time: 4 hour hike.
Best time for visiting is between May and November.