Los Manglares de Tumbes National Sanctuary
One of the natural jewels of Northern Peru, Manglares deTumbes National Sanctuary preserves the majestic mangroves that climb up to 25 meters in height. Wetlands and forests combine to create the perfect habitat for a wide variety of unique bird species in the world like the White Ibis and the Manglero Huaco.
Its strategic location has earned it international recognition by the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands of international importance as a crossing point of migratory birds.
There are 148 Bird species in the Manglares de Tumbes National Sanctuary. Among them:
- Bare-throated Tiger-Heron (Tigrisoma mexicanum)
- Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis)
- Magnificent Frigatebird (Fregata magnificens)
- Common Black Hawk (Buteogallus anthracinus) (VU)
- Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus)
- From the pier of port 25 or Jetty Control El Algarrobo post to the Matapalo island and Punta Capones. Duration time: About 30 minutes by boat.
Best time for visiting is between April and December.